CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, May 28, 2007

Memorial Day

Our pastor served two tours in Vietnam, but he rarely talks about it. He may mention a story here or there, but for the most part you can tell it is something he does not enjoy reliving. Maybe that is why it made this story so much more poignant.

Why didn't I die in Vietnam? He asked that question, and there was just silence. I served in the Marine Corps. We did our duty, all of us, but some got blown up, some got killed or maimed for life. Why didn't I die in Vietnam? Why did God let me live, while I watched the guy on my right get his arm blown off and the guy on my left's head blew up. We were all doing what we were supposed to be doing, but some never returned, or returned scarred. I asked myself over and over why God chose to let me live, and why he took the next guy. When they were airlifting me out, bullets were whizzing at the helicopter. Some guys were even shot as they were leaving, and I wondered if God had preserved me this long only to die in the helicopter on my way out. I survived the flight, and was so excited to be going home. My son had been born the day after I shipped out, and he was 15 months old before I ever saw him in person. I stepped onto American soil, and there were crowds waiting to meet me. Crowd carrying signs and chanting "Baby Killers!" It took me three days to get a flight home, since they were bumping anyone in uniform first. I refused to take off my uniform. I chose to wait. All I tried to do was my duty, and people treated me like a criminal, a murderer. Let's make sure that doesn't happen again.

That was all he said. By this point in the story, we were all teary-eyed. I'm so glad we have come a long way as a country since the Vietnam War as far as not punishing the military when we disagree with the government. No matter what your viewpoint is on the war or politics in general, let's support the men and women in uniform who are doing their duty. They've sacrificed so much, let's honor them and let them know HOW MUCH we appreciate them!

No comments: