I get that comment from so many people, especially the first time they meet Elianna: "She is SUCH a character!" She seriously has the personality of a 14-year-old, and with attitude to spare. Her newest hang-up is she always wants to walk around with her "Booh feet" (bare feet). (This grosses me out - I am not fond of the whole hillbilly look.) In the car, if the sun is in her eyes she howls for us to "Cwose my binds!" (Close my blinds) She calls those little window shades that you stick to the car window with suction cups her "blinds." She still replaces all her "w's" with "f's," so she will ask to "fatch" a DVD or announce to me that "Sissy fake up!" She is going through a picky phase, so in addition to the oft-repeated "I don't font to!" (I don't want to) she has added, "I don't like it. It's lucky." (lucky = yucky) She will subsist for an entire day on a handful of raisins and a few swigs of milk. I am standing my ground, though, and not catering to it. She was SUCH a good eater, devouring anything that didn't eat her first. Overnight, she became Princess Picky Pants, and I am riding it out like all annoying phases. I figure she's only a couple feet tall - she has to have another growth spurt eventually and then she'll get hungry again.
In other news, we got a crib! (Thanks, Sherry!!) Come on, don't all kids sleep in their bassinet till they are 7 months old?!?! Actually, she didn't sleep much in the bassinet, somehow she always managed to end up in bed with us. Generally this was a very late or very early nursing session that I fell asleep during... and voila, there she was the next morning all sprawled out taking up most of the bed. Well, at the ripe old age of 8 months Selah has officially moved into her own room AND is sleeping through the night. And I don't want to hear any lectures for letting her sleep with me (and nurse during the night) for so long. She's probably our last baby and I was dragging it out as long as possible, so if I get any condescending comments I fully intend to delete them. (Gee, I don't know where my daughters get their attitude from...) But yeah, she was actually getting more and more restless at night, waking more often and treating me like an all-night diner. I realized that she really was going to do better on her own. We moved her crib downstairs, gave her some last-minute snuggles, put her in the crib, turned on her favorite lullaby CD, shut the door, and turned off the sound on the monitor. (Talk about tough love!) She screamed her lungs out for the first night, screamed for about 5 minutes the second night, and has been sleeping about 11 hours straight from the third night on. Yippee Skippee.
Rejoicing in the Inheritance
9 years ago

4 comments:
How dare you keep her in a bassinet until 8 months!!! And even worse how could you let her sleep in your bed AND treat you like an all night diner!!! hehehehehehe
Yeah right like I've never been accused of being a 24 hour diner!
Anyways... I'm glad she moved to the crib without a fuss (or at least much of one) for you guys! Way to go! Means you picked just the right time to do that! I didn't know you didn't have a crib for her... Could have totally had Jaycobs (until I need it again, hehehehe)
Getting a little defensive aren't ya? I think you are a good mom and you were only doing what you thought was best for you baby and when what was best for her changed you let her grow a little. Congratulations! I would have been more upset knowing you knew it was better for her to be in her own bed and still kept her in with you.
Har har! I knew that those astute enough to see the sarcasm in what I wrote would just HAVE to give me a stern "talking-to" in response. I guess we sarcastic minds think alike!!! Now I'm going to delete your comment... (just kidding)
To Jen - thanks for the vote of confidence. Sometimes it can be tempting to do what people pressure you to do, but in reality you know what your baby needs better than anyone else. Trust the maternal instinct - it's what God gave it to us for!!!!
Post a Comment