CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, April 16, 2007

Hooray for Boys and Squash

Hooray - a food Selah will eat! She just finished her first jar of squash, and more made it in her mouth than all over the kitchen... for a change.

A couple weeks ago, we were playing outside and I asked Elianna what she would like to play with. She looked thoughtful and said, "Ummmm, boys." She pronounces it Bow-wheeze, so it somehow ends up with two sylllables.
I said, "I meant, do you want your ball? To ride your bike?"
Her reply, "Ummm, boys."
At that moment, some of the kids in the neighborhood were playing loudly and yelling to each other. Her face lit up, "See Mommy! Boys call La-la! La-la pay (play) boys!"
Chad was very upset, until I pointed out that the only other kids her age at church right now are two brothers that she adores. We refer to them as "the boys" so I am assuming she is using "boys" as a generic term for friend/playmate.
Yep, that's what I'm going to keep telling myself!

3 comments:

Melanie said...

Just keep telling yourself that!! Tell Chad it's alright she has to start liking boys at some point.

In reality I imagine she is using boys as a loose term for playmate or other kids. Need to find some girls for her to play with!

Angela said...

I asked her, "Don't you want to play with some girls?"

She wrinkled up her nose and said, "Gools? No like Gools!"

Once again, though, I agree with Aunt Melanie - "boys" is a term for friend, and she wasn't sure what "Gools" were.

She has since been doing better at differentiating, and will point at different people and say "Boys" or "Gool." ("Boy" is always said in the plural, so even if it's only one, she calls him a "boys.")

Cyndi said...

Tell Chad he can wait a little while longer to be worried. I had proof today that "boys" is a word for all toddler friends. When we first arrived at the library for story time today, She asked me "where's boys?" But before I could answer her we had turned the corner to the childrens area and she saw two girls playing. She became excited and said "BOYS" and ran to them. See no worries!