CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Friday, March 6, 2009

They're coming early!!!

Well, the date has been moved up to tomorrow! (Technically later today, since it is past midnight.) I am scheduled for delivery first thing in the morning!!!

Chad and I came here to U of M today to tour the NICU as well as talk to the neonatologist. I have to admit, I was a bit shaken by the tour. You can read all the books and information, but until you actually see a tiny little baby clinging to life... there's really no describing that feeling. We met a really nice mom with twin boys born at 30 weeks, and she was kind enough to let us peek at her little babies and ask her tons of questions. I couldn't get over how tiny and fragile they looked, almost like two little dolls. The consult with the neonatologist was more positive, since he spent a lot of time pointing out that many of the complications we were originally facing with delivery at 28 weeks are no longer likely. Hearing the comparisons of a 28 weeks baby to a 33 week was very encouraging.

From there we headed to my home away from home - the perinatal assessment center (or the PAC, pronounced "pack") for another round of testing. This time, I thought I saw reverse flow on the Doppler, which is not good. I asked the technician, and he said he wanted to check again, but he didn 't think so. I said, "Oh good! I almost had a heart attack..." After several more times, though, he saw it consistently enough to be concerned. Then, to make matters worse, the baby also scored low on his BPP (the other test I have done frequently). They called in the doctor, who admitted me on the spot. The specialist came in and said they had decided to deliver the babies ASAP, since this is exactly the type of thing they have been watching for for the last 5 weeks. They had been waiting for something to tip their hand, then decided to deliver me anyway on Monday... then the two bad test results. The only reason they didn't send me right to delivery then was that I had been drinking apple juice through the testing! They are opting instead to monitor the munchkins overnight and deliver them in the morning. I was still numb about having them on Monday, so naturally this is a complete shock!!!! We are excited to meet our little boys, though. Our pastor had prayer with us, and although we are nervous about all the unknowns we are really at peace. Whatever happens, good or bad, God will get us through.

I've had lots of people ask about visiting. You're welcome to visit me, but I'm not the exciting one, I know. I still don't have a definite answer, since we don't know yet what condition the babies will be in. Probably your best bet would be to call one of our cell phones, and we will try to give updates as soon as possible. If they are stable, one person at a time can be taken in with one parent and you can see them. Obviously you won't be able to hold them, but you can take pictures or video. I will ask that you try to stay positive, especially when talking to me, since my emotional state maybe a wee bit tentative. Seeing a preemie can be a bit of a shock at first (at least it was for me), especially the very tiny ones. (Although hopefully only one will be that tiny.)

Well, I guess I should be resting up for tomorrow! Yeah right, like I could sleep...

No comments: