I met with the specialist today (one of them) and she asked if I had a date set yet for delivery. I told her "next week sometime" was all I had been told. She called the other specialist who has been handling my case, and found out he had been discussing things with the doctor overseeing the testing. Overall, their consensus was this: Although we are thrilled that the babies have made it this far, they feel at this point we are letting them go too long. The risks at this point are now outweighing any benefit from what development the babies would have over the next few weeks. Obviously we would have liked the smaller twin to have gotten bigger before he was born, but since he is only growing a couple ounces a week it would be defeating the purpose. Also, after 35 weeks the risk of him being stillborn starts to jump. We have a few things to schedule yet and details to iron out, but it looks like delivery is going to be set for sometime on March 9th. I have to have more testing done, some bloodwork done, and we have a tour/consultation with one of the neonatologists in the NICU. Also, the time of the surgery has not yet been determined, although they prefer to do them in the morning.
I appreciate all the support, but I do have to warn you that this is not like a typical delivery. You will not be allowed to hold the babies, so I wouldn't recommend rushing to the hospital! (In fact, depending on their condition, you might not even be able to see them.) I will have more information on all of this after Thursday, and I will try to keep you updated. We are new to all this preemie stuff, but I will pass on info as we get it. One thing you can do for sure is PRAY for the babies as well as us. This will be a very stressful, trying time for us. Try to cut us slack if we don't return phone calls or forget to call someone!!!! I can almost guarantee it will happen!
Rejoicing in the Inheritance
9 years ago

3 comments:
We love you guys! You're definitely in our thoughts and prayers. My recommendation is to keep a little notebook for your thoughts and questions you may have once the twins are born. Sometimes you might think of something you were going to ask the Dr/Nurse but when you see them, you forget. And of course, feel free to call if you ever want to talk about things or need any support or anything.
Angela, You don't know me personally, but I am Jennifer Ciufo's sister -in-law. I have been reading your blog, and just want you give you some encouraging thoughts, although all preemies are unique and special cases, Maybe sharing a story of my nephew may shine some light on your outlook. Daniel James was born at 27 weeks, and 6 days, weighing in at 963 grams!! "D" as we call him, thrived from the start, and was in hospital for 3 months (just about the same amount of time he should have still been in my sisters belly) And is now a wonderful 3 year old, with no concerns! I know that all cases may not work out for the best, but maybe thinking about one that did will help you somehow!
Elizabeth - thanks for the advice! I have actually been keeping a notebook since I was admitted (Jan 28th) for that very reason... I have no brain cells left. (None that work anyway.) In fact, I even had to add things to tell Chad about when he called, like test results or something to bring from the house!!! I am already so worn out and drained I don't know how I am going to handle these next few weeks...
Mandy - Thanks so much for reading our blog and for sharing the positive story! Even though all preemies are different and have their own stories, it's always nice to hear about preemies that are healthy and thriving. Plus, you'd be surprised how many people say stuff like, "Oh yeah, my aunt's twins had the same thing and one of them was stillborn." or "My friend had twins that were different sizes and it was the larger one that died!" Gee, thanks, like I want to hear about that! Argh. Anyway, thanks again for the encouragement!!!
Post a Comment