Okay, I seriously will stop blogging about my breasts.. after one more post. As I mentioned in the last post, a friend loaned me the exact pump that I was looking for (Medela Pump in Style). I went to the hospital, and talked it over with the lactation consultant, who agreed that my issue was largely my pump. Using the one I borrowed, I was already getting an increase in my milk that same night. (Hooray!) The consultant also mentioned she was going to file a claim with my insurance stating that breastfeeding was medically necessary with my twins being premature, etc... I wasn't expecting anything to come of it, but I thanked her for the effort. Well, the next day I march into the NICU with my few ounces of hard-earned milk, and the nurse said, "A box arrived for you today!" I look over and there sat a brand new Medela Pump in Style! Apparently the consultant was able to convey the urgency of the matter and they sent one overnight! (These pumps are a few hundred dollars - even a used one can be around $100. Neither of which are in our price range right now!!!) So the Lord provided... and then provided again even more.
I also want to mention an e-mail I received about the Zachary Williams Memorial Foundation. They give pumps to needy mommies based on need, which I think is just a wonderful idea. It shouldn't be only the babies of mommies who can afford it who get breastmilk, especially preemies who need it so badly. Not to mention, I found her story very inspiring. To go through so much pain, and use it to help others - what an inspiration.
So anyway, we'll see how it goes from here. I am still having trouble getting much milk. Pumping is still not the same as a baby nursing, so I am trying to get my body to cooperate. However, my body thinks I have one premature baby, so I guess a couple ounces at a time is all he would need! Hopefully I can build up more with all my great pumps... the living room at my in-laws looks like a Medela commercial.
Rejoicing in the Inheritance
9 years ago

2 comments:
Have you been able to kangaroo Levi or Micah? That helps a lot with milk production too. The nurses may not have brought it up (my old hospital wasn't very big on it) but it's GREAT for Mommy AND baby. Basically if they haven't brought it up, it's where you hold the baby with just a diaper (and pulse ox and leads of course) and you (or dad!) wear a button down shirt and you hold the baby skin-to-skin. We do it with babies as little as 24 weeks (if they are stable) so your lil' guys should do fine. Your body keeps them warm and with them close to your chest they hear your heartbeat which is calming. Then after you hold them you pump. I'm glad the lactation dept is so on top of things for you! Praise the Lord!
LOL OK I need pics of the Medela commercial!
Post a Comment