CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Day 12 - Nothing New!

Well, it's been about the same from day to day. I spend most of the day here at the hospital with the boys, while Grandma and Daddy tag-team the girls. The most I can do in the way of care (besides the endless pumping, which I hate) is give them sponge baths (can't wait for the cord to fall off!), change diapers, attach or unhook the feeding tube, kangaroo (skin-to-skin cuddling), and occasionally infuriate them by offering them a bottle. They don't understand that until they take food by mouth they can't go home! Right now, it's just too much work for them. They opened their incubators for a day and a half, but I noticed that only made them more tired, less likely to even attempt the bottle, and their weight started going backward. So, I talked to the docs and we have them back in their ovens baking. They suspected Levi was having heart problems, since he was showing signs of a constricted aorta, but the rest of his tests came back yesterday and his heart is A-OK. Both babies are still having apnea episodes, especially Levi, but they are not getting worse or more frequent. Someone needs to explain to them that breathing is not one of those things you can just forget to do.



I am feeling a bit better, and am able to drive myself to and from the hospital. This makes things MUCH easier!!! Unfortunately that also means I had to stop taking my pain meds (the last thing we need is for me to get arrested for DUI of narcotics...), so I am still pretty sore in the morning and late at night when I get home. I have settled into a routine, but the time seems to d-r-a-g by so slowly. I can't believe it's only been 12 days they've been in NICU, since it feels like weeks. Thanks to those who have popped in to keep me and the boys company! The days get long and a bit boring, so it's nice to have someone to chat with. I also appreciate those who have been understanding when the boys were having a rough day and I had to say "No thanks" to a visit. Overall they are doing very well, but some days are harder on them than others. Just know that I appreciate it either way!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That's great that you can drive yourself. I can remember how much easier that made things for me when my little peanut was in the hospital. I will continue to pray for the boys and for you. Before you know it the boys will be home and all this will be a blurr. Give those boys and the girls a big hug and kiss from me. Well you don't have to kiss your almost 4 year old until she feels better.

Love ya,
Aunt Coco