CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Saturday, December 1, 2007

No MySpace pics, please!

Okay, I can hear the big, collective eye-rolling that will go on after reading this post, but please patronize me. I just spent some time talking to a family member who found out you can (quite easily) get around the MySpace pages that are set to "private." This is right after I read an article where they interviewed a pedophile, one of approximately 3,000 convicted child molesters registered on MySpace, who called MySpace his "shopping catalog" of sexual images of children and teens. Of the random survey they did, just grabbing random profile images, over 90% of them contained some kind of suggestive content. One watchdog company tracked down several profiles of these perverts, and found them listing themselves as "married Christians with three kids," etc..., when in fact they are none of the above.

So, naturally the protective mother in me is coming out, and I am asking all of my readers with MySpace pages to PLEASE REMOVE ANY PICTURES OF MY CHILDREN. Initially I had asked that they only be displayed if you keep your profile private, but after talking this over with this family member who saw how easily these safeguards are circumvented, I really would prefer to keep my kids off that site altogether. Please don't get your panties in a bunch and assume I'm saying you're doing something wrong. I really couldn't care less what anyone else does - I'm just trying to protect my kids. I know you can probably find my blog (or other pics of my kids) on-line if you tried hard enough, but I'm not going to gift wrap their images for the weirdos in the world if I can help it!!! Again, go ahead, roll your eyes at my paranoia... and then please go delete those pics for my peace of mind! THANKS!!!

4 comments:

Sissy said...

Hey, I finally got a myspace and all of my friends told me that it was okay to put pictures up as long as the site was marked private but I still don't put up my kids pictures. There is just to much of a chance that someone I don't want looking at my kids to see them. Not only that but one of my friends had someone hack into her site and now she can't even use it at all...

Angela said...

Yeah, I also know people who have had their site hacked into, even if they were private. Adults can make their own decisions about going on MySpace, but my concern is only for my kids. Honestly, I only know about 10-15 people who have had pics of my kids on their MySpace, but you have to figure all of the links through friends... and the access to those pictures mutiplies exponentially.

Ironically, I have even had glitches with this website (Blogspot) which I chose because they do not allow obscene content. (I was hoping this would keep away the trolls looking for a cheap thrill.) I try to keep Sugar and Spice set to private so it cannot be accessed through my profile or in the main blog searches, but sometimes it does appear. Nothing in the computer world is 100% safe!!!! Unfortunately that's just the world of technology we live in.

Melanie said...

Ok I just double checked mine and there's none of the girls!!!

Angela said...

Thanks!!!!