This may seem like an odd time to be blogging, but I need to get my thoughts off my chest before my heart explodes. Last night, my grandma was unexpectedly taken from us. She went in for a procedure on the veins in her leg, and after the surgery something went wrong. Terribly wrong. We are still waiting for answers, but no matter what they tell us my peace is in knowing that this was her appointed time. No one took her from us, she went to be with the Lord she loved and served for so many years. It was not an accident, not a mistake. Everything is exactly as it is meant to be. She is in Heaven now, in awe before the Lord who will have to tell her good-bye for us since we never had the chance. The verse the Lord keeps putting on my heart is "I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith. Henceforth there is laid up for me a crown of righteousness, which the Lord has promised to them that love Him." My grandmother was not a half-hearted Christian. She adored her Lord and shared her faith at every opportunity. She was one of the most zealous soul-winners I've ever known, and I imagine her now meeting with the many people who are in Heaven with her because of her influence and testimony. I am so glad she can experience such joy and wonder while we are all in such shock and pain.
I ask you now to examine your own heart. Have you made your peace with God? We are not promised one more minute upon this earth, and as we are reminded by my grandmother's homecoming you are rarely expecting the end of your life when it comes. I beg you, do NOT put off making your peace with God. If you can feel His pull on your heart, confess your sins to Him and give your life to Him. The Bible tells us to "seek the Lord while He may be found." Do not fool yourself that you have enough time to worry about such matters later. We have been cruelly reminded that you never know when your last day may be. My grandmother had an intensely strong burden for warning souls to turn to Christ, and I know her greatest joy was when someone was snatched from the Devil's grasp. It does not matter if you are young and think you have your whole life ahead of you, or in your sunset years and think it's too late to call out to God now. If you are still living, that means God is still giving you the chance to find Him and accept Him into your heart. You need the Lord, and you need to find Him now. God is calling you, and He wants you to accept that He died on the cross to pay for all your sins. You do not have to die and pay the penalty of your sin in the life to come, you can cry out to God and He will answer you. Make this decision now, while God is pulling on your heart now. Bow your head and heart before Him and allow Him into your life. It is never too late or too early. The Bible says, "Now is the accepted time... now is the day of salvation." My grandmother's salvation transformed her life in a miraculous way, and she loved to share it with others. If her passing urged one person to reevaluate their life and realize their need for the Lord's forgiving work, she would be overjoyed.
In the Bible when King David's baby dies, he said, "Shall I bring him back again? I shall go to him, but he shall not return to me." This verse inspired me to write this song several years ago. It's not as meaningful without the music, but I'll share the words with you.
Sometimes it's hard to say good-bye to someone that we love
When they go on before us to their blessed home above
Our hearts ache with emptiness they leave when they are gone
When God takes one we love so much, leaving us here alone
We have said good-bye to fathers, loving mothers, dearest friends
Oh how precious is the promise that we can see them again
I can't bring you back to me
But someday I will come to you
And we will be together again some sweet day
When my life is through
Oh I miss you now that you've gone away
But I know it won't be long
Knowing that I will see you again
Gives me strength to carry on
I can't bring you back, but I promise one day
I'll come to you
We couldn't have known you'd be the first to see our final home
We didn't know your feet would be the first to walk those streets of gold
But you're happier now than you could have even been here I know
So it's only because I love you so much that I'm able to let you go.
I can't bring you back, but I promise one day, I'll come to you.
I'm trying to say good-bye to you, Grandma. I wish I could have seen you one last time. I wish I could hug you one last time. I'm so thankful the last words we spoke to each other were "I love you! Good-bye!" as you were leaving Sarah's birthday party. Of course, I thought it was only for a few days before you came to stay for a few days with my mom. I had so many plans for us to do together while you were here, and I wish I could have had those nine days with you we were all looking forward to so much. Tina told us that you were so excited about it, and kept talking about how much you loved spending time with your family. You loved us all so much, we could see that. I only hoped we let you know how much we loved you and and how much you meant to our lives. As you stand before your Lord now, I know He will say, "Well done, my good and faithful servant! Enter now into the joy of thy Lord."
Rejoicing in the Inheritance
9 years ago

3 comments:
Hey Angie,
This is the 1st I have heard of this. I love you and I am so sorry. I shared her as a grandma too for a little while and I feel so pained to hear about this. I love you! I can honestly say I know how you feel. Although mine didn't have the mental capacity as most people she and I had a special bond and I was the last person with her when she died. It is hard to let someone go like that. But I do have to say if it offers you any comfort thanks to your grandmother...my grandmother is in HEAVEN!! Your Grandma led mine to the LORD! I too can share the same peace you have knowing that she is in a better place with the Lord. I love you and if you can hear me, "Thank you Grandma Georgia and give mine a hug for me!"
Love,
Jess
Thanks Jess, I know she always considered you all family, even after she wasn't "legally" related. She loved you all dearly and we talked about you and gave her updates. This is the first I've heard about her leading your grandma to the Lord, and I am just so proud of her and all the people that are in heaven because of her witness. I'm sure our grandmothers are rejoicing together in Heaven!!! I love you too, Jess, and I am so thankful for the family God has blessed us with.
Angela,
Your Grandmother was a special women. She is the one who brought the light of the Lord into our family. The thought never accord to me to say Thank you Geogia for sharing the truth with our family. I am so thankful for her testimony and her zeal for the Lord. I will never forget when I was younger all the times during the summer she would take us up north. We always had so much fun.
I am so thankful I was able to see her for Sarah's birthday celebration. I pray that Sarah and Eric will take Gramma's advise about reading their bible together. I thought that was so sweet of her to be telling Sarah that. Angela, please know that you are in my prayers especially during this difficult time.
Love,
Aunt Connie
Post a Comment