Yesterday Chad took me for my weekly ultrasound. Things have been going great with the twins, as I mentioned in an earlier post. The fluid levels are balancing out, and the smaller twin has grown from the 9th percentile to the 30th percentile. The larger one is almost 3 pounds and the smaller one is just over two pounds. So, we were feeling very optimistic going to this ultrasound! Then they dropped the bomb, but I'll get to that.
First, the office called to say that my new doctor (the Maternal-Fetal specialist Dr. Bryant) has become severely ill and will be hospitalized indefinitely. They are sending me back to my original doctor, and she is consulting with the specialists at U of M for my care. I wasn't worried about this at all (in fact, I was a little relieved to be back with the doctor I've seen all along and was comfortable with, since the complications seemed to be resolving themselves) and again we were looking forward to my carrying these munchkins nice and long. Yeppers, everything is just fine and dandy. (I should have known better!!!)
Anyhoo, I was 28 weeks yesterday, so they decided to do a Doppler scan, showing blood flow in the babies/placenta. I was having heart issues, so they had to keep shifting my position. I assumed this was why they scanned me four times, but after the scan(s), they told me to wait in the consultation room. This was not good, since generally I just leave and get the report the next day. Finally, a nurse came in, and told me to go straight to the hospital. "The diastolic flow on the smaller twin was absent." That's what she said, and I had no idea what that meant. In lieu of Dr.Bryant's consult, she called my old doctor (Dr. Palfey) who said to admit me and prepare me for an emergency C-section. WHAT!??!!? I thought things were fine!!!!! Chad and I were just numb, but we drove to the hospital where they monitored me for the rest of the night. The babies were doing great, so they called off the C-section. (Yay!)
It was the longest, most miserable evening and night. I didn't sleep a wink, since the boys didn't want to stay on the monitor and the nurses had to keep coming in and adjusting them. Worrying about the babies, worrying about who will care for the girls, starving because they couldn't let me eat in case of the C-section (low blood sugar and stress don't mix), etc... it was not fun to say the least. On top of this, I had to have several consults with the doctors explaining what the possible scenarios were (which varied widely at this point from the annoying to the terrifying) and a HORRIBLE meeting with the neonatologist which I was in no mental state for. She was very kind and compassionate, but she had to explain a lot of possible medical issues with babies born this early that I just was not ready to hear. It was a horrible night to say the least.Today was much better. Not necessarily news-wise, but my mental state has improved considerably. (Thank the Lord for grace when you need it.) Dr. Palfey came first thing in the morning and explained what the diastolic issue meant as only she can. (I love my doctor!!!) She's to the point without sugar-coating. I won't bore you with the details, but the summary is that this will not correct itself and it is just a matter of time before they have to deliver the babies. They will be monitoring them, and as long as they seem happy and active (and their hearts do as well) they are going to leave them in as long as possible. Again, my doctor is consulting with U of M and keeping them appraised of the twins' condition/getting their opinions. If it seems like things will get overly complicated, they will transfer me there. For now, though, the plan is to keep me here until delivery is unavoidable. As for a time frame, that could be as early as tomorrow (I have been given steroids to boost their lung development) or as long as a couple weeks. Naturally, as much as I hate being here, I am still hoping they can stay inside safely as long as possible. Buns bake better in the oven than out!! Again, care for the girls is an issue, but we will play it by ear. Sarah is looking into emergency drop-in care at the daycare center she works at. It is a very calm, well-organized upscale daycare, and I think the girls would like it. Anyway, we shall see!!!!!
Wow, I've been working on this post all day and it's turning into quite the novel. One last biggie decision we have to make is whether to stay here or be transferred to U of M. I am more comfortable here, of course, and I prefer the preemie care here at their NICU, but U of M will have an entire staff of Maternal-Fetal specialists, whereas my current hospital no longer has a specialist while Dr. Bryant is recovering. Dr. Palfey used to work at U of M, so she has contacts there she has been conferring with. Unfortunately, her group is only on call through the weekend, and a different group of doctors will be here next week. I don't know how comfortable they will be dealing with a situation as touchy as mine, and I also don't know if they have specialists they call for advice (instead of just transferring high risk patients like me). Overall, it is walking a thin line - since if they take the twins too early the babies face a host of health issues, but leaving them in while one is essentially getting no nutrients could cause a whole new set of health issues. So there is a huge burden placed on the doctor who must decide when to "pull the trigger" on the delivery. Naturally a specialist will feel more comfortable making that call, while a general OB doctor (which is all we currently have here) will have a lot on their conscience making that decision on more limited knowledge/experience. Chad and I are praying and hoping we come to the same conclusion. Please add this to your ever lengthening list of things to pray for us and the babies!!!!
I will close this book for now. There is actually so much going on, believe it or not I am trying to summarize!!! Sorry if some of this was repetitive - I was working on it all day and so didn't have a fluid train of thought. I am in a much better state of mind today, much more at peace and ready to face whatever God has in store. I am sure this is due to the prayers we are receiving. I don't think I've ever experienced a pain like this, seeing our babies in danger and feeling so helpless to do the right thing. (Since no one is sure what the right thing is!!!) I'm not looking forward to living here for the next however long, but on the other hand I feel better knowing how closely monitored the babies are. Continue to pray for us, and thanks so much for all the phone calls, cards, and even visitors I've already had!!!! It really breaks up the boredom and keeps up my spirits. Pray for the girls as they deal with this emotional time, and also for Chad who is trying to keep his job and juggle caring for me and the girls. What a crazy time for us! I'll keep you posted. Trust me - I don't have anything else to do here!!!!

1 comment:
U of M and Detroit Childrens are THE BEST NICU's in the area. You DEFINITELY want them there as opposed to somewhere else if you have the option. I know you're not comfortable but I'm telling you they're great! They are best prepared for everything so if they were super sick they wouldn't have to transfer them somewhere else. They're a pretty decent size. The little one may surprise you b/c he's been under more stress than the big one. It's good that you got steroids. That will help. I'm sure it was scarey to talk with the neonatologist but at least you were able to do so. Right now you don't know much...it's a lot of maybes. God will get you through it though.
Post a Comment