Okay, seriously, this is the third tear-jerker post... am I really that depressing of a person?!??! (I hope not.)
Here is a poem my mom shared with me from the book "Rejoice" by Karen Kingsbury. In the story, it was written by a mom to her son who was getting married. (I edited it a bit, to take out the parts that were specific to the story. I just wanted it to be more general.) It has also been made into a children's book, but why would I want to cry my eyes out while reading to my girls!??! Actually, I think it is only really sad if your children are grown. From my perspective, as a young mother with young children, it is a reminder to hold on to those precious moments with your children. Anyway, here it is - hope you like it!
Would I Have Held On Longer
Long ago you came to me, a miracle of firsts
First smiles and teeth and baby steps, a sunbeam on the burst.
But one day you'll move away and leave me to your past
And I will be left thinking of a lifetime of your lasts.
The last time I held a bottle to your baby lips
Last time that I lifted you and held you on my hip
Last time when you had your binky stuck inside your mouth
The last time you crawled across the floor of this old house
Last time you ran to me, still small enough to hold
Last time you said you'd marry me when you grew old
Precious little memories and bright flashes from the past
Would I have held you longer, if I knew they were your last?
Your last hours of kindergarten, last day of first grade
Last at bat in Little League, last colored picture made
Last time I tucked you in for one more midday nap
Last time when you wore that beat-up Packers cap.
Last time when you caught a frog in that backyard pond
Last time you ran barefoot across our freshly cut lawn
Silly scattered images represent your past
Would I have taken more pictures, if I'd known they were the last?
The last dark night you slipped in bed to sleep between us two,
When I last held you in my lap, read Horton Hears a Who!
Last time I smelled your hair after your evening shower
Last time we prayed together in the nighttime hours
Last few finger-paintings made, last soccer ball you kicked
Last piano lesson, last flowers for me you picked
I never even said good-bye to yesterdays long past
Would I have marked these moments, if I'd known they were the last?
Last time you needed help with a math or spelling test
Last time I yelled that your room was such a mess
Last time you made an angel before the snow began to melt
Last night you spent with that tattered bear you held
Time and life moved quicker, taking pieces of your past
Would I have stretched the moments if I'd known they were your last?
The last time you needed help with the movements of a dance
Last time you asked me for advice in matters of romance
Last time you shared with me all your hopes and dreams
Last time you wore a jersey of your high school team.
I watched you grow and never saw the seasons as they passed
I wish I could have frozen time to hold on to you lasts.
One last kiss, one last good-bye, one quick and hurried kiss
One last time to understand just how much you'll be missed
I'll watch you move on and think how quickly your childhood spent past
Would I have held on longer.. if I'd known it was your last?
Rejoicing in the Inheritance
9 years ago

6 comments:
Thanks for posting this. It was a good reminder on one of those toddler tantrum days that seem to be happening much more frequently at our house.
I know! This poem gave me a totally different perspective on my girls' whining for me to hold them. It helps me to remember they won't always want to be held and snuggled, so for now it's okay for me to put my day on hold and just have some "Mommy Time." The dishes (and laundry, and yardwork, and everything else on my never-ending to do list) can wait!!
Edward said,
Yes, I read the whole thing, that is enough reading for the rest of the year. Lots of truth to this poem. Not married, no kids of mine, but 4 nephews and 1 neice and one in the oven. How quickly I see time passing and will take more time to play ball or wrestle with the kids. One error in your opening statement: Young children I agree with but who ever said you were YOUNG. May GOD bless and remember always take time to CHEW THE FAT with a friend.
BOO HOO HOO! OK OK so you made me cry WAAAAA! TEE HEE! That was good..thanks for sharing...love ya!
Wow! What a reality check. The sad thing is we don't really know when our children's last will be so we just have to soak up the moments and silently wish that they never grow up.
To Edward:
You'd better be careful before calling me old, as I recall you're a few years OLDER than I am!
And yes, this poem and concept definitely apply to uncles (and aunts) as well! Even if you don't have children of your "own," there are always children in your life that need your love. So give them all an extra minute or two of your time, even when you really feel like giving them an extra swat on the behind.
And enough with the chewing the fat - that is SUCH a gross term!!!! (On the other hand, ladies and gentlemen, some children never grow up anyway!!)
Post a Comment