Elianna is just starting to grasp that different days have names, and also that different days are associated with certain activities (Sunday=church, Tuesday=Grandma Day, etc...). Today was the first day she asked what the day's name was! She woke up and said, "We go Nothe today?" (She knows we are going back up north, and I get asked about 200 times a day if we are leaving yet.) I said, "No, remember what day we are going up north?" She thought for a while, then said, "Today is Mon-yah?" I told her, "Today is Tuesday. Yesterday was Monday." She looked puzzled, "Toos-yah?" (For some reason, she says the "day" part as "yah," like a German would say "Yes.") This is progress, since she remembered my telling her yesterday that it was Monday. So she says, "Toos-yah?" and I said, "Where do you go on Tuesday?" She grinned and said, "I go Papa's Hah-vey's house!" Although it's actually GRANDMA that picks her up, the house and all the rooms are Papa's Hah-vey's. (Yes, she adds the "s" to both Papa and Hah-vey.)
Another break-through for her was counting. Today she counted on her own to 8. This may not seem like much, but teaching her anything is more like a negotiation. She thinks any number should come next while counting, and if you tell her the correct number she gets annoyed with you. Same for colors and shapes. She dubs an item "blue," and if you tell her it's "green" she'll glare at you and say "La-la want Booh!" However, I think it is dawning on her that there is a right and wrong answer, and she is putting more effort into saying her numbers in the correct order as well as naming the correct colors and shapes of things. I am hoping she develops a more teachable spirit as she grows older... especially before we begin home-schooling!!
Rejoicing in the Inheritance
9 years ago

1 comment:
aaah shes getting too big!!!time needs to slow down for a while,my girls are growing up so fast :o(
Post a Comment