I always thought that was the dumbest term. I mean, is a stay-at-home mom a
non-working mom?! So here's a new one for the mix: I am now a
stay-at-home-working-outside-the-home-without-leaving-my-home mom. I applied for an administrative job at a resume and transcription office, and the kicker is I don't have to leave my house! I will be able to do all my work right from my computer. The office offers a lot of services, but I will specifically be doing transcription. WOW - that is a very grueling job. I was expecting "dictation," where someone drones on into a recorder and you type what they say. That sounds easy enough. Well, transcription, on the other hand, is writing a transcript of any number of situations, including interviews, focus groups, etc. I aced the required grammar and vocabulary tests, which should come as no surprise to those whose English I have corrected (hee, hee), and she was impressed with the test transcript I had to send in. *doing the happy dance* The office manager said she is leery of stay-at-home moms who apply, since generally they just want a job they can do at home and actually don't know how to write a coherent sentence or spell simple words. I set out to prove her wrong, and apparently did so!!! We've spent a lot of time chatting on the phone, and she is a kindred spirit. We both cringe when people write "could of" or "allot" instead of "could have" or "a lot," and we both are used to our friends and family rolling their eyes at us when we morph into the role of Grammar Police. She assured me it's an addiction, and that I am free to embrace it. I mail out my contract this week, and then I am on probation. I am VERY excited about this opportunity, since it combines my love of English, my love for working on the computer, AND being home with my girlies! Unfortunately, it will also cut into my computer time, which is already sparse. So, I'm not sure if I'll be able to keep up with blogging... We shall see. I'll keep you posted!
3 comments:
Congrats on your stay at home - woring outside the home - without leaving your home job. I will pray that you and girls will adjust well to this exciting new adventure in your lives. Hey I never knew you were such a perfectionist in English. Well I could of wroted allots more but I have allots to do right now.
Coco
Okay, you made me spit on the screen when I burst out laughing at your "I could of wrote allots more.." business.
At the same time, I was a little offended that you assume my job is of such a morally questionable nature. Seriously, do you really think a Christian mom of two who is crowding 30 can find any jobs out "woring outside the home?" I mean, we could use the extra money, but I'm just a bit uncomfortable with the mental picture of my sneaking out at night in fishnet stockings and stilettos... *giggle snort*
So you've got to pay off that mailbox huh??? LOLOLOL!
Post a Comment