I took Selah for her 15-month Well Child Check. (I can't believe she is growing up so fast!!!) The little booger managed to be sick at the time of her appointment, so she got out of getting her vaccinations. (She only needs one more anyway.) She is hanging right in at the 50th percentile, except for her weight, which was only 25th percentile due to her illness. (She had yet another tummy bug and was vomiting and had diarrhea the four days leading up to her visit. Needless to say, she lost almost two pounds!) I asked the doctor about all these tummy issues, and she said it just sounds like she is going to be susceptible to those kinds of viruses. She assured me she did not have the symptoms of a more serious gastrointestinal issue, lactose intolerance, or celiac issues as I had feared. Phew!! What a relief!! While Elianna is more susceptible to the colds and respiratory problems (and has only thrown up once in her life), Selah rarely gets colds (and only gets the sniffles at the most) but catches every tummy bug that goes around. *sigh* At least they provide some variety. Selah is feeling better now, and eating like a piggy. So, I'm sure she's already gained her weight back!!!
As fussy/crabby as she was for her doctor visit, being sick and all, she still was able to dazzle the doc with her vocabulary. She happily pointed out and named body parts and prattled other favorite words. Her vocabulary was at 30+ words last count, with new ones being added every day, and she is already forming two word phrases. She also knows a rather motley assortment of animal sounds: Owl, kitten, dog, bear, mouse and bird, yet she is stumped by the usual cow, pig or sheep. Go figure. The doctor said she is happy for a 15-month-old to say 5 words, so she was very happy about her large vocabulary. She attributed this partly to my "No TV" campaign and lots and lots... and LOTS of reading. (Selah is just as addicted to books as her sister, probably one of the only things they actually have in common. Anyone caught sitting around her will be brought a book and be demanded to read.)
So, I am thankful for a happy, overall healthy and normally developing child. I do not take this kind of thing for granted, since it is not really in our hands!!!! We can do what we can to stimulate and teach our children, but there are some things, both mentally and health wise, and are simply out of our control. So I try to remind myself to be thankful for these seemingly mundane check-ups, when there are mothers struggling with special needs children who would love to have a normal, mundane check-up. The Lord has a different plan and purpose for each child... not to mention each parent.
Rejoicing in the Inheritance
9 years ago

No comments:
Post a Comment