CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, September 18, 2007

What are YOU laughing at?

Mom and I were standing in line at the store, and Elianna struck up a conversation with the lady in line behind us. (Typical behavior for her.) The lady found something she said amusing, and burst out laughing. Unfortunately, whatever Elianna was telling her was NOT supposed to be funny, and Elianna became quite indignant. My mom asked her why she was now giving the nice lady her "angry eyes" (those of you who have experienced this death glare know what I am talking about...), and Elianna said, "She's laughing on me!" The lady tried to stifle her laughter (as we all did) and she said, "I'm sorry, I won't laugh on you." She then gave Elianna a sweet smile. Elianna wasn't about to be placated. She replied, "Don't smile on me eithah (either)!" I gave her a stern talking-to about rudeness, but the lady was thankfully very good-natured. Elianna also got over it fairly quickly, and was chatting her up again before we finished checking out.

2 comments:

Melanie said...

So what DID she say that the lady was laughing at??

Angela said...

Unfortunately I missed that part. I think she was just blabbing away to her, and the lady giggled bcause she thought it was cute. Elianna often just walks up to people and begins talking to them, and she is very serious and intense. (For example, on this particular trip, she was going around to everyone telling them that "Selah's boothday is coming up, are you buying her a pwesent or a cahd (card)? Do you want me to pick out a cahd for Sissy from you? This is a nice cahd, it has balloons on it." and on and on...) Sometimes she has a hard time understanding why people laugh at her or don't take her conversation seriously, and she gets offended. To her, she's not trying to be funny, she's trying to engage in meaningful conversation.