There are things you do for your kids that there is NO WAY you would do under any other circumstances. This weekend, I had to overcome one of my phobias for the good of my child. We went back up to the lake to visit G-ma and G-pa, and Elianna was begging to go swimming. Selah also absolutely LOVES being in the water, but there is no way I could reasonably expect Chad to watch both of them, even armed with their flotation devices. Enter my phobia: swimming in water where I can't see the bottom. I like nice clean pools, preferably WARM clean pools. Lakes, although beautiful and serene from the surface, are the stuff of nightmares underneath. (In my mind, anyway.) Still, I decided to face my fears and actually go swimming with my family... and try not to terrify my daughter in the process. I waded out, and the first few steps were nice and sandy. Cool, I can handle this. Once the sand ended, though, I stepped into this velvety muck full of all manner of poky unidentifiable things that sucked at my feet. EEWWW! Chad told me to just float, so I tucked a life jacket under my arm and floated... right into (what felt like) the embrace of a man-eating octopus. Okay, it was a thick weed bed, but let me tell you when you're floating along and suddenly things are wrapping around your legs and ankles... an innocent weed is not the image your mind conjures. EEWWW AGAIN! Elianna and Selah were floating and splashing and having a great time. Chad and G-ma were having a great time watching me gulp and try to force a smile whenever Elianna looked at me. If she could sense my discomfort, she didn't care. Which was a good thing - Chad didn't need two females freaking out in the middle of the lake. I wish I could say I eventually relaxed and enjoyed myself, but no, I didn't. I will swim in the lake when I am needed, but my legs are tingling right now just at the memory!!! The girls had a blast, though. Splashing and kicking all over the water, pulling up lily pads, giggling and shrieking as loud as they could so they could hear their echo. They had fun, that's all that matters.
Besides the "Swimming Incident," it was a fun weekend. Elianna just loves going up there. She spends her days looking for acorns to throw at the ducks (and getting irritated when they won't eat them), exploring all over the yard, playing in the sand, or snuggling up with G-pa or G-ma. This time she had two new toys - a bubble kit with all different kind of bubble blowers. (Most of which Mommy couldn't figure out, and one of which gave Elianna a mouthful of bubble solution!) Once Daddy explained them to us, though, she blew bubbles to her heart's content. The second was a H-U-G-E Nemo coloring book. Elianna had a great time sprawled on the floor trying every single color of crayon and colored pencil on her Nemo picture. Selah got a Baby Glo-worm that has become one of her absolute favorite toys. She got so attached, they let her take it home! G-ma took me and Selah out to lunch, which was a nice treat. We went to the "Lumberjack Cafe" where they had all kinds of log furniture and home decor. I could have spent a fortune - I love that stuff! But, I refrained, and we had a fun time out. I think I've been taken out to lunch twice in as many years!!! So it's rare and appreciated when I get to go out.
We had to leave a bit early on Sunday after church, since we then headed down to Nanna's to see some family visiting from Canada. Elianna got to meet some more cousins, and we all trooped outside to play a rousing game of "Duck Duck Goose" with a four-year-old, two two-year-olds, and about 7 adults. You had to be there, but it was pretty funny. What a busy day to end a busy weekend!!!!
Rejoicing in the Inheritance
9 years ago

6 comments:
Hey I know how you feel about swimming in places where you can't see the bottom I am the exact same way although I don't think I hide it as well as it sounds like you did!
I think it is a Vella thing...my mom is that way and so is Uncle James. HA HA too funny...I do have to admit though if I let my mind wander I could get pretty creeped out too ! HA HA
Awww come on I've been swimming in that lake for years and I'm still alive to tell the tale. It can't be all THAT bad!
Good thing I never told you about the time when Chad & Craig came out of that lake with leeches stuck on them after swimming. Craig was only a little older than Elianna!
AAAACK! LEECHES! That's so nasty.
Good Mom great thing to tell her! She will no longer be making this "mothers sacrifice" lol
Post a Comment