CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, July 2, 2008

I am Car-less...

Yep, it's finally happened. I am officially stranded! We turned in our gas-guzzling (but much beloved) Dodge Dakota, bidding it a fond farewell for its faithful service, and we have opted not to replace it right away. Elianna was quite upset about it, as she was very attached to the "blue truck." I tried explaining the concept of a "lease" to her in terms of borrowing something from the library. I told her the truck wasn't ours, we were just using it, and now we had to give it back to its owners. She sulked all the way to the dealership, then declared in an appalled voice as we drove by the rows of shiny new vehicles, "Mom! Look at all the trucks they already have! They shouldn't take ours! They have enough trucks!" My little communist. Anyway, now we are down to one vehicle, and Chad commutes an hour to work so driving him is not an option. Waaah - poor me. There is quite a bit within walking/biking distance, including the library, a couple parks, the fairgrounds, the township building (where we go to dance class and other fun activities) and several stores. So hopefully I won't go too crazy...at least while the weather is nice. Also, my wonderful retired neighbor has assured me that we can use their van if any kind of emergency arises, so that's a relief. We'll see if I survive!!!!!

4 comments:

Elizabeth said...

So my one question is how are you going to pull your camper? :) Kids say the funniest things don't they? You think that they don't pay attention to things but they are pretty smart and say exactly what they are thinking. I'm getting a kick out of reading friends and family's blogs and reading the funny things that the kids say and do. It makes me laugh and look forward to when Elijah gets bigger. Right now I'm just thrilled that he actually smiles with intention now!

Melanie said...

Awwww At least you have these things within safe walking distance. We have the one car and there's only the library that is within walking distance...
And we don't frequent there as much as I would liek to because I always seem to have charges on my card!

Angela said...

Elizabeth - well, we just have to borrow or rent a truck if we want to camp. With two little ones, we were only camping a couple times a year anyway, so it wasn't worth the extra gas money!

Mel - For my library charges, I just grab whatever change is in the car/bottom of my purse and put it toward my "tab." I don't think we will ever have a zero balance. Argh. I really envy your hubs only working a couple miles away, but I don't envy not having all the stuff within walking distance. We're surviving! (For now...)

Sissy said...

Hello my name is Jennifer and I have been car-less for 6 years!!! I am so proud of you for join car-less anonymous!