We are back from yet another camping trip! The girls are getting to be old pros at this - we even got them to sleep in the same bed! (Miracle of miracles.) Now I'm just counting the years till they can sleep out in a tent and I don't have to listen to them cackle all night. I considered trying to discipline them, but remembered how Jess and I used to play long into the night, even if we got in trouble. I figured I'd save myself the battle and let them play. Until about 3 in the morning, when we decided to separate them till they fell asleep, then transplant them into a shared bed. (And no, I'm not exaggerating.) This trip was our annual trip with Aunt Ann and Uncle Marcel, which I love because Aunt Ann always makes us a big breakfast and always has coffee brewing.
This time we traveled to a state park north of Lansing, and it is definitely a "keeper." Saturday we headed to the zoo, and when we got there they let all of us in free! Our zoo membership doesn't include guests, but they just gave it to us anyway. Can't beat that. The zoo was very cool, with several animals I had never seen nor heard of. Not that I'm some budding naturalist or anything, but these were some weird critters! They also had both pony and camel rides, which Elianna loved. Even Selah went on her first pony ride, but she was not too thrilled with the camel so we saved our money. Uncle Marcel treated Elianna to a camel ride, and even went on with her. I positioned myself to take a video, got a couple seconds into the video and... click, my camera died. I am doomed to only get three second videos of camel rides.
After naps, we headed to the beach for the evening, and although we grown-up girls were huddled in sweatshirts, the girls gleefully played in the water! They have no concept of cold...until the walk back when they both decided they were too cold to walk and had to be carried. After such an action-packed day, I was shocked when the girls wanted to go to the playground and played there until almost dark! I don't know who was more tired, kids or grown-ups, but they slept well that night. Thankfully.
The next morning we took a hike, checked out a fishing pier (where Daddy had discovered the night before, while fishing with Uncle Marcel, that there were no fish...) then packed up to come home.
Now, it's back to scrubbing out the trailer, doing all the laundry, and un-packing all the junk a weekend trip entails. Which is more junk than many people in some countries own in their entire possession. But, it's worth it. My best memories growing up are camping, and I want my girls to truly know how to have fun as a family. We're also blessed with wonderful family like Aunt Ann and Uncle Marcel. We've traveled the state over (and even to Arizona) with them, and they're always so much fun - we look forward to our next trip!!!
P.S. I know what you're thinking - blah, blah, blah, who cares about the rambling, just post pictures! Well, with my camera dead and the spare batteries confiscated by my daughter to power the Leap Pad I picked up at a yard sale the day we left... I have to wait until Aunt Ann e-mails me her pictures!
Rejoicing in the Inheritance
9 years ago

No comments:
Post a Comment