CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Happy Thanksgiving!

We had a Thanksgiving service at our church where we were asked to give a Bible verse and a testimony of something we could praise the Lord for. The verse I gave was Psalm 113:9 : "He maketh the barren woman to keep house, and to be a joyful mother of children. Praise ye the Lord."

In Bible times, one of the worst trials a woman had to face was infertility. When the Psalmist tells of God giving a woman a child who previously thought it was impossible, he knows he is striking a chord with the women who have endured this pain. It is a reminder that even when man and medicine do not give hope, with God anything is possible. Nowadays, infertility doesn't have the stigma it once did, but it is still one of the most heart-wrenching trials for a woman to try to get through. I was told in 2003 (after five years of an incompetent doctor being unable to figure out what was wrong) that it was physically, medically impossible for me to get pregnant. I had known for a long time that God wanted me to be a mother. To me, it was more than a personal desire, I truly felt it was my calling. My diagnosis really confused me (among many other emotions!) because suddenly I began to doubt myself. Was it just my own imagination? Was it just something I wanted so badly that I assumed it must be God's will? I turned to God's Word for comfort, and one day at work when I was really being gripped with doubts and despair, I came across that verse. It was a clear answer, as though God was speaking directly to me. We stepped out in faith and began the adoption process, and God brought us our first daughter. Five months after we got home from Colombia with her, Surprise! Along came our miracle baby. Two babies in two years - God definitely made me a "joyful mother of children." Only God knows if there are more children in store for us, and I am content to trust His will for our lives. I am so thankful that when God gives us a clear calling in our lives, even when we doubt Him, He will always come through for us. Like the verse says, "Praise ye the Lord!"

Happy Thanksgiving to all our dear friends and family. Instead of getting carried away in the holiday chaos, may we all take time to reflect on all of the wonderful blessings in our lives!

3 comments:

Sissy said...

Don't you just love it when God starts showing off!!!

Angela said...

It was so funny when I was having the ultrasound. The technician just kept asking me, "Are you SURE you weren't on fertility drugs? I just don't see how this was possible. Are you SURE?!??!" The ovarian disease that supposedly made pregnancy impossible was still there (and pretty advanced, by the sound of it.) The whole time she is in shock taking measurements of my ovaries, there was Selah doing her gymnastics... (She was an extremely active baby - not fun when I barfed every day of my pregnancy.) It goes to show you, God will always find a way to remind everyone who is really in control!

Every child is a miracle, and we witness a miracle every time a child enters our life by any means. I feel blessed to have experienced this twice.

Anonymous said...

I think I may have a new "favorite" verse from scripture.
Thank you for this specific post.
Our Lord is amazing.... he has given so many reasons for us all to be thankful.