CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Busy busy busy

The action has picked up a bit here, as they make preparations for the boys to come home. Initially, we had hoped Micah could come home this week, but he has had two more apnea episodes, which bought him 5 more days. This gives Levi some time to catch up, so maybe they will come home together?!?!

Levi has been doing great. They were talking about taking out his feeding tube next week, but he apparently didn't like the idea of waiting. He pulled it out twice himself! The second time, they decided to leave it out and see how he did. He has been eating like a champ and gaining weight like crazy. He is now up to 6 pounds 10 ounces!!! Little oinker. He is still having tummy issues, but they are not hindering his eating or weight gain. I personally think it is all the extra stuff they add to the breastmilk. When he has a bottle of plain breastmilk, he does much better, has less gas and doesn't get constipated. So I am guessing that issue will resolve itself once he is home. I nursed him the first time today, and he disliked it as much as Micah initially did. It will take some time, especially since Levi is not the most motivated baby in the world! The bottle works just fine in his opinion, so why go through the effort of learning something new?!?!

Micah is also doing well, and I have been able to start nursing him three times a day. Unfortunately, he is now preferring to nurse over the bottle (I don't think he likes the taste of the doctored breastmilk now that he's had the real thing) so I have to keep clarifying with the doctors and nurses WHY he isn't finishing his bottles anymore. That way they don't hold it against him and put off his discharge even longer.

They both were circumcised today, which is why I am hiding out on the 8th floor playing on the computer. I know, I know. I should be there comforting my boys, but I'm too big of a wimp. (Even the doc performing the procedure said she didn't watch her own son's!) As soon as they got out that little clamp and explained the gory details to me, I ran away. (After signing the consent, of course.)

They also have their angle test today, where they have to sit in a car seat for an hour while being monitored for heart rate, breathing and oxygen saturation. (Basically the monitors they always wear.) They showed me how to prop them properly when they are in a seat of any kind, whether a car seat or a swing, etc... since many babies actually can't breathe well in them.

I am meeting with their doctors today sometime to talk things over and see what their timetable is now (adjusting for Micah's apnea episodes). Honestly, I don't mind Micah staying a few extra days or even an extra week if it means both boys coming home together. It will be much easier to have them both home than to have one home and one still in the NICU! But we will have to work all that out. Well, it is feeding time already! I'd better run for now.

2 comments:

Melanie said...

I'm glad to hear they're doing well. Micah already weighs more than Jaycob did when he was born!!

Melanie said...

Levi I meant!