CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, December 11, 2008

Still no diagnosis...

I'm not trying to leave you all hanging! I have had three ultrasounds and am scheduled for two more, but the results are still inconclusive. The twins show some signs of TTS, but not others. The specialist I am going to said he does not think the surgery is necessary, but my doctor wants me to keep the option open. There are a few reasons I agree with her and have issues with my specialist:

1. The guy has never even had the decency to come into the room and meet me in person. He has the techs bring him the ultrasound reports, he makes his notes and sends them back. I do not feel like he is taking my condition seriously, or respecting me as an actual person with actual feelings.

2. He has not personally pursued the surgery with any patient, opting instead for a different procedure in which you must come in periodically and have amniotic fluid syphoned from one sac to the other. To me, this is like bailing water from a sinking ship instead of just plugging the hole, which the surgery would do. He seems a bit set in the old ways, where I would prefer someone who is exploring more cutting edge, safer and more successful options instead of "That's just the way we've always done it."

3. He diagnosed me after an inconclusive ultrasound as "No TTS suspected" then changed his mind once my doctor pointed out some of the symptoms I/the babies were showing. This does not sound like he gives a great deal of thought to his diagnoses, so I do not feel confident in his opinion.

So, overall, we will wait for the reports from the next two ultrasounds and see how things are going. I will probably go for a consultation on the surgery, so if the twins start to show more definite signs I'll be good to go before the deadline. The surgery CANNOT be performed after 26 weeks, so if the TTS occurs (with any severity) after that point you have to deal with it in ways that are less satisfactory to me. (Syphoning fluid or inducing premature labor are two of the options.)

Please pray for grace to deal with this time of uncertainty. It is almost harder to deal with an inconclusive diagnosis than a bad one. I just want to KNOW what we are facing, but God has His reasons for making us wait. Please also continue to pray for our little boys that they will grow and develop normally. I will let you know as soon as I know something!

4 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Two comments.
1) you need a ticker on your blog so that we know exactly how far along you are :)
2) I haven't seen any cases where TTS is done. Mostly the amniotic reduction. Of course then those babies are in NICU but often they were bad cases. We just had 29 weekers that barely had a difference at all 1100gms and 960gms. The mom had high bp so they had to deliver. Anyway..we'll definitely be praying!

Elizabeth said...

I'm sorry I typed TTS when I ment the laser treatment.

Anonymous said...

Wow! Can you see another specialist or is it too late in the game for that? Will continue to pray.

Love ya,
Aunt Coco

Melanie said...

We've already talked about the issues with the doc...
I just wanted to add that you need the ticker on the blog!!