CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, December 16, 2008

More ultrasounds, less good news

They have increased my ultrasounds to every week - UGH. My uterus is swelling quite rapidly, and I am now measuring at over 7 1/2 months although I am just hitting the five month mark. (This is causing some concern, since excess fluid is a sign of TTTS. You will obviously be bigger when you carry twins, but I went from running about 4 weeks ahead in size to over 8 weeks ahead in size in a matter of three weeks.) Also, there is now a noticeable fluid imbalance in the babies' sacs as well as the larger twin having an enlarged heart. The twins are also about 25% different in size, although the little one is growing at a decent rate considering his condition.

I have been exhaustively researching TTTS treatments as well as talking things over with my doctor. (Information gathering is my coping mechanism!) I really agree with my doctor that the laser surgery has the best outcome with the least risks, but since I (well, technically the babies) am not even at Stage 1 TTTS (if the diagnosis is confimed) most specialists would do the amnio reduction first. Also, there is the issue of the surgery being so highly specialized that only a handful of Maternal-Fetal centers/Children's Hospitals even do the surgery. Texas Children's Hospital seems to be one of the main hospitals with this specialty, but my doctor is also talking to specialists she knows for recommendations. I am less concerned with it being close to home as I am with it being a doctor(s) who is very familiar with the procedure!!! Also, we haven't been able to get a clear answer from our insurance, but at the most they will cover a portion of the surgery.

As you can see, we really need your prayers as we make these big decisions over the next few weeks!!! The latest I can get the laser surgery is mid-January, and after that the outcomes are much more grim. So we are getting down to the wire here, and we are so thankful for the prayers and support of our friends and family during this difficult time.

1 comment:

Tanya said...

Hello. . . I just dropped in (as I was cleaning out my "favorites") to check in on you. Oh my! First congratulations on your little ones and we indeed are praying for you as you make the decisions you are facing in the month ahead! We'll be thinking of you and wishing you all the very best!
Tanya (Glenn, Evan and Ava too)