CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, November 18, 2008

A tale of two babies

Chad and I went for an 18-week ultrasound today. Normally this is a 20-week scan, but my doctor wanted me to go earlier so we can make sure we catch the twin-twin transfusion right away should they have it. I will be going back every couple weeks so they can monitor the babies' sizes, growth rates, and levels of amniotic fluid. We will know within a month if I need the surgery, and then I will have a couple weeks from that point to get it. Needless to say, the next six weeks are going to be nail-biters for us!!!! I am trying not to think about all the details of the surgery, like how we will come up with the $30,000+ if our insurance doesn't cover it, planning an out-of-state trip to a specialist that will perform the surgery (my doctor recommends a practice in Florida), finding a hotel, arranging child care... not to mention the idea of them cutting me open and zapping my tiny babies with a laser... Let's just pray they share the placenta without any issues!!!!! One is already a bit bigger, but they assured me that no two babies are identical in size, so it might not mean anything. As long as they both grow at approximately the same rate we're okay.

I know you've just scanned over that last paragraph to get to the juicy details. Yes, we found out the genders, and... It's a BOY... and a BOY!!!!! Yeppers - two of them!!! Yikes! They are still suspecting they are identical, but I guess you can't know absolutely for sure until they're born and you get a blood test. So, this will be another adventure for us!

5 comments:

Elizabeth said...

YEAH! I LOVE little boys (not that I'm biased or anything te he). I know it's got to be hard NOT to think of all those things but remember that the LORD is in control. "I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me" Don't worry about what you do know will even happen and PRAY that the Lord will keep you strengthened with whatever DOES happen. I've seen TONS of twin to twin transfusions that never had any procedures done and if you are 18 weeks and one is only a little bit bigger count your blessings. A lot of babies share a placenta and are absolutely fine. Just b/c you're a higher risk doesn't mean that twin-twin has to occur and cause you to have surgery. Just focus on what a BLESSING this is! God is so good! We all love you guys and are praying for you ALL!

Angela said...

THANK YOU Elizabeth!! That was just what I needed to hear. I have been bombarded with so many medical worst case scenarios that I was getting overwhelmed!!!! When you read the information on TTS it is just all so gloomy and forboding. It was nice to hear something positive! Pray that God will give me the emotional strength to handle this. All of these hormones just make it that much more difficult to leave this in God's hands. Thanks again for the encouragement!!!!

Anonymous said...

Hey Angie, the U of M doesn't do the surgery that may be needed? It seems strange to me that the U doesn't do the surgery since they are on the cutting edge with technology and all. As a nurse I would get a second opinion because I have seen lots of twins share a placenta and have never heard of this. I hope you don't think that I am stepping on your toes but I work with doctors every day and I know how pushy and over the top they can be!! lol. We are praying for you and your boys!
Jill Tackett

Angela said...

Thanks for the warning Jill!!!! Doctors can be intimidating with all the clinical doom and gloom. I guess I should clarify... this surgery is a last resort only if the twin-twin transfusion (TTS) is severe. I didn't mean to give the impression that my doctor was just "zap happy" or anything! She wants me to be prepared for it since there is such a small window of time that the surgery can be done (by 26 weeks, I believe). However, she has only had to have patients get this surgery a couple times, and it was in instances where the babies would have died or been handicapped. The surgery is called fetoscopic laser ablation, and it is becoming more widespread since it is so successful at saving both babies with the least amount of complications compared to other methods of dealing with severe TTS. I am HOPING it has come to Michigan by now!!! My doctor said she heard that Motts was supposed to be offering it eventually, if not already. But again, this is ONLY if the TTS is severe enough to warrant surgery. I have some very basic indicators of TTS, but it is too early to say for sure if it is there and how severe it is. So we just have to keep praying!!!!

Anonymous said...

WOW! That is so exciting and freaky all at once...I hope and pray all goes well!!!! ((((big hug))) Come on, ya cute babies, you can do it!!!